Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Recipe for Farmer's Cheese Spread

I love all things dairy -- so it's no surprise that I think farmer's cheese is one of the most delicious things ever! And it seems not that many people know about it. It's similar to cottage cheese but has a thicker/smoother consistency. And compared to cream cheese, it has less fat, less calories, less carbs (actually 0) and more protein per serving.

Here's my recipe for farmer's cheese with radishes and green onions. It's a great recipe for breakfast -- and not only tasty but really healthy! You can eat it on its own (the way I like it), or on bread, crackerbread, a bagel, or with crackers. And you can add more or less radishes and green onions based on your taste.

I've included a picture of the Friendship farmer's cheese I buy. It's in the dairy section near the cottage cheese and sour cream but often times a little hard to find. Better to get the version without salt.


Agnes' Farmer's Cheese
Serves 6 
Prep time: 5 minutes
Ingredients
2 packages of farmer's cheese (15 ounces)
6 large radishes, grated (or 8 smaller radishes)
4 heaping Tablespoons green onions (or chives), chopped
2 Tablespoons of sour cream (or 3 for a creamier spread)
Salt  

Directions
In a medium bowl, mix the farmer's cheese with the sour cream and add salt to taste (I add about 1/4 teaspoon).

Add the grated radishes, chopped green onions (or chives) and mix until it's a creamy spread. 

Serve in a bowl garnished with some chopped green onion.

1 comment:

Alex Staff said...

Hmm... I've always wanted to try new kinds of cheese spreads, and I'll try to add this to my recipes. Hopefully, I can make this for our next family reunion. But for now, I'll try my best to make this for myself.